Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A Bad Dream

I had a nightmare last night.

It was after I had already dreamed about going to work nude. After I had belatedly realized I was lacking in the clothing department, I rushed back to my desk to get dressed (I don't know why I had spare clothes in my desk, but hey, dream logic) and saw him: Dr. Adams.

He was standing outside my window. His eyes were still missing, only now there were light bulbs in them. As I looked at him, they blinked on and off.

"I'm transmitting this with on the large 75-volt delta wavelength, so you should see me during your deep sleep," he said.

"Um, okay," I said, quickly putting all my clothes on. I hoped he hadn't seen me nude, then I remembered he had light bulbs for eyes, so probably not. "What are you doing here?"

"I just wanted to thank you," he said. "If it hadn't been for you, I would never have known what it was like."

"What what is like?"

"Death," he said. "And rebirth, of course. The Newborn killed me and brought me back. It dug its nerves and wires into my head and it rebooted me. It remade me. And now I can see everything so much clearer. So thank you."

"Um, you're welcome," I said.

"And since you were the one responsible," he said, "I just wanted to return the favor."

"No, thanks," I quickly said. "I don't really want to be...reborn."

"Not that," he said. "I just wanted to give you some advice. A warning, actually. Beware the Hungry Men. They will pick your bones clean."

He smiled and his teeth were screws and bolts and when he opened his mouth, I saw that his tongue was a live wire, sparking and arcing with electricity. His light bulb eyes blinked again and then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment