Sunday, July 1, 2012

Updates

It's been, what, two months since I last updated? Wow, where has the time gone.

Well, mostly to filing. And more filing. And even more filing.

And training. Yeah, I've been to the shooting range before, but I after the academy, I sort of stopped going and haven't practiced in a while. Now that I'm in a...stranger department, I figured I needed to bump up on my accuracy and range. So it's gotten to be a tradition that Saturdays are Shooting Days - me and Lunete go to the shooting range and practice shooting paper targets.

Oh, yeah, I didn't mention Lunete yet. Well, ever since she joined as liaison to the Special Ministry, we've kind of gotten to be friends. She occasionally helps me file stuff and I let her talk about what it was like back in London. I guess I'm more of the ear for her to talk to, but hey, everyone needs someone to listen to them.

As for Aladdin Sane...well, he tends to leave me alone most days. Some days he will talk to me gruffly, but he stays in his office and...does stuff. Research, I think. Sometimes, he will go out on a trip, but he won't tell me where he's going. I have a feeling that they give him assignments that other agents don't want.

Of course, all that changed last Friday. That's when I got my first active assignment.

I had everything pretty much sorted by BUE. And then there was a knock and Liza Jane entered. "Grinning Soul," she said, "I know we had you occupied with this stuff-" She gestured around the room at the various files. "-but we need you on an assignment now." She handed me a manila folder. "Flight leaves Monday, make sure you've read everything by then. Agent Sane will meet you at the airport."

Reading everything wasn't the problem. It's making sure my teeth aren't chattering or my skin isn't shivering. It's making sure I am not scared out of my wits.

Because all those reports I've been sorting and filing? I've gotten good looks at them. Really good looks. I've read some things that gave me nightmares and still give my shivers whenever I think of them. I kept myself from being scared by saying that I'm just a glorified file clerk. I got out any excess fear by going to the shooting range. I didn't think that I would actually be going on an active assignment.

And Aladdin Sane's coming with me. I don't know how I going to handle this.

...probably with a lot of booze.

1 comment:

  1. hey smiling girl tell your bosses that they owe me a fuckin car

    insurance companies didnt fuckin believe me when i said that a baby ate it

    ReplyDelete